[kdepim-users] dimap, where are mails stored locally and how to back up?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:43:22 GMT 2012

On 01/05/2012 10:16 AM, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 05.01.2012 10:49, schrieb Anne Wilson:
>> On 01/04/2012 06:03 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>>> You seem to be using IMAP. Where do you see a problem with migrating to
>>> another client?
>>>
>>> The account type formerly known as disconnected IMAP is nowadays just a
>>> subtype of IMAP (with cache policy "cache everything"). I'm not sure
>>> whether Akonadi is supposed to store everything in its database or
>>> whether the mail contents is supposed to be stored in files.
>>>
>> FWIW, I run IMAP.  I set up Thunderbird by simply pointing it to
>> ~/Maildir, just as I did with KMail. No problem whatsoever. I did have
>> to install several add-ons to get the functionality I'm used to in
>> KMail, but everything I needed was available.
>
> Hm
>
> Anne, are you using imap and maildir (two different accounts) or are you
> accessing the maildir you are using with your dovecot server in parallel
> with thunderbird?. The second case is not the intended one.

Martin, maildir is the mail storage format, not a different type of
account.  Natively I believe Thunderbird uses mbox, the "other" storage
type, but since you use IMAP that's not relevant.  All my mail goes to
my dovecot server.  Thunderbird uses IMAP access to read what's on the
server - but it could be any IMAP server, including one on an ISP's
hardware.  There's no issue of parallel access - this is plain and
simple imap access.  I don't pop any mail.

Anne
--
Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or