[kdepim-users] I rarely complain about Akonadi

Thomas Tanghus Olsen thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Jan 26 21:07:36 GMT 2012

On Thursday 26 January 2012 21:27 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Torsdag den 26. januar 2012, Thomas Tanghus Olsen wrote:

> > > Just updated from 4.7.4 to 4.8 and akonadiserver v. 1.7.0 on Kubuntu.
> > > Now I have manually removed all empty and duplicate message tags and
> > > hope
> > > that they will not reappear.
> > >
> > >  1) I deleted hundreds and hundreds of keys while akonadiserver spiked
> > >  at
> > >
> > > 100% CPU. I had to use the mouse for this. If I didn't have carpal
> > > tunnel
> > > syndrome before, I am sure to have it now. Why doesn't the delete key
> > > trigger a delete and why is it not possible to select more than one at a
> > > time?
> > >
> > >  2) If they do reappear isn't there some magic query I can run in
> > >
> > > akonadiconsole - which I have to have open all the time anyways - to
> > > remove all empty tags?
> >
> > So ... now I also went through ~180 contacts and deselected empty tags -
> > deselected, because they cannot be removed even though the UI pretends
> > that
> > it is possible. If I want to select a category for a contact I first have
> > to scroll through tens of empty categories to select the one I want.
> >
> > As for KMail it keeps on producing empty tags. Every time I open the
> > configuration dialog and go to Message tags, there are ~10 empty tags even
> > though I had just deleted them. The list will probably grow.
>
> I'm fighting the same issue, still in kde 4.7.4. Maybe it is time to file
> another bug report or two or tree:
>
> 1) kaddressbook (or anything) should not add empty values!
> 2) no app should ever display an empty value in the GUI, it makes no sense!
> 2) there should be a way to clean them up, when they are there.

Hear, hear to all 3!

Or #3 should rather be: should there be any empty or otherwise invalid data in
the backend an automatic cleanup must take place without disturbing the UX, as
in no flickering UI elements, no spiking CPU usage and no heavy disk IO while
the PC (or other device) is in use.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus Olsen