[kdepim-users] dimap, where are mails stored locally and how to back up?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Jan 4 10:29:10 GMT 2012

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2012 schrieb Dirk Sarpe:
> Hi and happy new year to everybody :)

Hi Dirk!

A happy new year to you and all other readers here too!

> It seems that all mails of all DIMAP accounts are in
> /.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/
> What I find disturbing, there is no folder structure whatsoever in this
> folder, just the plain files. How is one supposed to make a sensible
> backup of this?

You need this directory *and* the akonadi database which has the
information which mail is stored in which file. For searching you also need
the Nepomuk index.

I just rsync /home completely after having stopped Akonadi before. I am
not using KDEPIM 2 yet, but I am quite sure that this should work. If you
use a system-wide database, you better stop that one, too.

Another approach would be to mysqldump the database and rsync the
file_db_data.

In case you do not want to stop Akonadi and database during the complete
backup time you´d need some kind of snapshot to do this from so that
database and files are in sync for the backup.

For own Nepomuk data like annotations, tags and such there is a backup
utility including schedule settings under systemsettings / desktop search.
All the data from the index files or mails can be rebuild and is not stored
in that backup.

It would probably be good to have such a kind of backup for Akonadi as
well to quicken recovery times on data loss.

That said all of this data should be rebuildable from the remote IMAP
account in case of loss.

Ciao,