[kdepim-users] Kalarm plays sound -- sometimes

James K. Gruetzner jkgruet at sandia.gov
Wed Jan 4 20:52:18 GMT 2012

Hi, all,

First off, a thank-you to the developers and gurus on this list for all the work
they do and help they provide. I'm sure it's frustrating to you at times, but it
is appreciated by others as well.

Anyway, this is probably a problem with a configuration, but my head is starting to
ache from banging into the wall so much.  :-)      Here's the problem:

Sometimes in kalarm, when the alarm activates, it will play the sound from the
associated file.  Sometimes it won't.  I can test a given alarm (using the Try
button in the Edit Display Alarm - KAlarm dialog box) several times in a row, and
sometimes the music file will play while other times it will be silent.

When running KAlarm from the command line, the following error shows up when the
alarm does *not* play:
-------------------------
kalarm(25849)/kio (Scheduler) KIO::SchedulerPrivate::doJob: KIO is not thread-
safe.
QObject::startTimer: QTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread
        :
<repeated six additional times>
        :
kalarm(25849)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::SimpleJob::doKill: KIO::FileJob(0x7f7c1001e980)
This is overkill.
-------------------------
(The PID is 25849.  There is an additional error message that occurs when the pop-
up window is closed, but that occurs whether or not the sound plays.).

This error occurs with both .mp3 and .ogg files, and with gstreamer, xine, or VLC
selected as the Phonon back-end.  When the sound file does not play, there is no
indication in the pavucontrol Output Devices tab that the signal is making it that
far.

KAlarm 2.4.11
KDE 4.6.5 (4.6.5)
Fedora 15
Dell Optiplex 755 (64 bit)

A coworker has almost an identical set-up (KAlarm/KDE/Fedora) and has no problem.
This all leads me to believe that there is a race condition occurring which is a
result of some user setting somewhere.

I am hoping that one of the experts on this list can give me some trouble-shooting
ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
   James
---------
P.S.  There is also a problem of KAlarm freezing when in the "Sound File" dialog
box (where one assigns a sound file) whenever I press the little floppy-disc symbol
to a file selection dialog box .  It produces the following error message:  -----
-----
QObject::startTimer: QTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread).
-----
I don't think that is related, but it might be, so I included it here.