[kdepim-users] Searching x 2

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:38:24 GMT 2012

On 29/01/12 11:24, Anders Lund wrote:
> Søndag den 29. januar 2012 09:36:48 O. Sinclair skrev:
>> ~qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver quit
>> ~rm -rf $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/apps/nepomuk/
>> ~nepomukserver&
>
> That (rm step) removes the nepomuk data, thus forcing it to redo everything,
> and also deleting valuable data if you generate any yourself (by tagging,
> commenting or rating files).  I don't think that step is nessecary. I have not
> practiced that, and all my mail is indexed and searchable - just not from
> within kmail. A proof of that is that typing a word that is in a mail body in
> krunner (ALT + F2 if you run kde) brings a reference to that mail, albeit
> currently useless as stated earlier in this thread.
>
>> helped me at least - though search is still pretty useless. Search for
>> filename "current" and get totally unrelated mp3 files on "top" of
>> search results. KFind works way better.
>
> You are searching for mail file names using dolpin? I have learned yesterday
> that mail is not stored in the directory your storage resource points to, but
> rather a hidden directory of the same name, so that if you use default storage
> of ~/.local/share/local-mail, the mail is actually in ~/.local/share/.local-
> mail.directory (notice the dot in the last directory name).
>
> That is a *bug*.
>
> I really don't think the problem is with nepomuk, I believe it is some bug in
> akonadi or its agents. That is only my impression though, but for me, nepomuk
> generally does a very good job.
>
>> Sorry am a bit fed up with the whole thing.
>
> Yes, me too, it appears that if I want to use kdepim 4.8 kmail2
>
> * mail is not storaged where configured
> * search is not possible.
> * search using nepoumk krunner finds items, but can not open them correctly.
> * filtering is not possible, because if enabed, akonadi will infinitely
> duplicate mail.
> * address completion is not working
> * operations moving a lot of mails takes *very* long time and renders the
> system unusable meanwhile, and might require restarting akonadi, nepomuk and
> kmail (importing a folder of 3000 messages is like that, moving them within
> kmail2 not quite so bad, but still bad)
>
> For me, the mosta annoying thing during normal workflow will be the missing
> filtering and address completion.
>
> Philosophically seen, the wrong location of files is the worst.
>
> Psycologically seen, the potential overtaking the system for a long, undefined
> period is the worst (I will not feel comfortable not checking mail for a week
> for example, as the potential horror of receiving many mails at one time is
> scary)
>
> On the upside, kmail2 is actually very spiffy and well working, those "small
> details" aside. And for me, updating the rest of kdepim have a very big value,
> esp korganizer that I use quite a bit with many (well, 5-7) resources have
> improved drastically in usability, and kaddressbook can now show all my
> [...]
Hej Anders (kunde inte motstå, du måste vara skandinav med det namnet)

no I am not searching for mail - I try to search for a file, in this
case a spreadsheet. From Dolpin, when I use the search function ticked
for "filename" and I type "current" my top results are a bunch of mp3
files that certainly do NOT have "current" in the file names. Or tags (I
don't use tags, seems rather pointless to me). Or whatever as far as I
know, I guess searching on content in mp3 files is a no-brainer.

So I am not "getting it". If I use good old KFind it takes a wee bit
longer but produces a correct result.

As for KMail2 I had it working nicely pre 4.8 and even for a day or so
in 4.8. Then suddenly mail address autocompletion died, filters work on
and off (like on one boot it does, on the next not) and my distribution
lists are empty. And the list thing is very annoying, that seems to
happen every time I update.

Apart from that I really like 4.8.. but the BASIC function of Search and
KMail seems botched to me.

Best,
Örjan