[kdepim-users] Kalendar: how to continue to use *.ics files (4.4.11.1): possible workaround

Stephan Diestelhorst stephan.diestelhorst at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:54:10 GMT 2012

Hi Stefan,

2012/1/12 Stefan Brill <stefan.brill at uni-wuerzburg.de>:
>> In KOrganizer, I can right-click in the lower left window pane and add
>> a calendar. Then chose the ICal calender file and you can point the
>> thing to an existing ICS file.
>
> thanks for your suggestion. Exactly which version of Kalendar do you use?

KOrganizer
Version 4.7.3- ()
Using KDE 4.7.4 (4.7.4)

This is on Ubuntu Oneiric, with the stable KDE PPA enabled.

> I was aware of that selection and that was how I originally established my
> calendars (I just didn't remember which selection I picked then, but "ICal
> calender file" sounds very familiar).
>
> However, now "ICal calender file" isn't available anymore, I only see the ten
> possible selections below (roughly translated back to English since I'm using
> the German locale):

Now that you mention it.. I remember that those were absent for a
while, but I am not 100% sure.

> Akonadi resource
> birthday from address book
> journal in a blog
> GroupDAV (e.g. OpenGroupware)
> Novell GroupWise address book
> IMAP calendar via KMail
> calendar in local directory
> OpenXchange server
> file calendar on a remote computer
> SuSE Linux Openexchange address book

Alright, I have a German system, too, so let me put what I have in German:

DAV-Groupware-Ressource
Geburtstage und Jahrestage (Birthdays and Anniverseries)
ICal-Kalenderdatei (Ical calender file)
KDE-Kalender (herkoemmlich) (old school KDE calendar)
Knut
Kolab Groupware Server
Open-Xchange-Groupware-Server

Could this be a packaging issue, since you are on OpenSUSE and I am on
Ubuntu? Or maybe it is a version difference, indeed. What do you run?

> However, I seem to have found a possible workaround:
> the selection "file calendar on a remote computer" behaves very similar to
> what I want. In the window that opens, I choose the same ics file in the
> "download from" and "upload to" fields, select "at startup" in the "automatic
> reload" radio button and "after each change" in the "automatic save" radio
> button. The behaviour seems to be the same as before the KDE update, only the
> colors of the calendars changed.

Nice idea. That may actually also help with the intermediate write
access to the files and could behave better with concurrent updates
through synch tools, or just the opposite...

> The question however remains, what caused Kalendar to forget my calendar ics-
> files, since I did not update Kalendar (not even a re-compile of the same
> version!).

There was a switch to Akonadi-based PIM recently. Maybe you picked up
half of the changes only?

Cheers,
  Stephan