[kdepim-users] KDEPIM migration from KDE4 to KDE3.5?

Martin Bernreuther MartinBern at web.de
Mon Jan 9 20:02:31 GMT 2012

Hello,

I had a hard time with a OpenSUSE 11.4/KDE4/Kontact1.? Installation.
After login the KDE4 desktop usually did not respond after a short time and I had
to kill the session an to re-login (but then it worked). And time by time I wrote
an email with Kontact and the KMail editor windows freezed and I lost everything
I wrote (no way to copy or save the content and no backup available).
Afterwards the editor windows freezes again and again until
~/.local/share/akonadi is removed and KDE4 restarted.
And this happend to all users. Anyways...

I decided to do a fresh OpenSUSE12.1 installation install KDE3.5
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3) and use the KDE3 PIM suite (without akonadi).
AFAIK there's a migration tool to go from KDE3 to KDE 4, but I'm
not aware of such a tool to go back from KDE4 to tKDE3 to bring the outdated
configuration etc. data up to date. The KMail part is the most important for me.

There's typically a mix of IMAP, cached IMAP and POP with mbox and maildir data.
For IMAP and cached IMAP the configuration  should be all to be transfered, but for
POP the EMails also have to be copied to a new position,. For my own account, which
accumulated data from several KMail versions the only POP email account saved
its data in ~/Mail, which was shared between the KDE versions and there are not
much changes within the configuration itself. This is not the case for all users.
It's probably not a good idea just to copy ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc to ~/.kde/share/config/
and ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail as well as all the config files and
apps directories for the other kontact applications?
(BTW: It's strange that you find metadata like the number of emails ("TotalMsgs") in a "rc" configuration file.)

Is there a utility for the migration from Kontact/KDE4 back to Kontact/KDE3
or  a documentation about what to take care of?

There's certainly something there, but I didn't find it,
so thank you for the hints and URLs...

Thank you,
	Martin
Martin Bernreuther	MartinBern at web.de