[kdepim-users] dimap, where are mails stored locally and how to back up?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jan 4 18:03:29 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Dirk Sarpe wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the your answer. It seems that I need to rethink my
> current backup and synchronisation scheme a bit.
>
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2012 schrieb Dirk Sarpe:
> >> It seems that all mails of all DIMAP accounts are in
> >> /.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/
> >> What I find disturbing, there is no folder structure whatsoever in
> >> this folder, just the plain files. How is one supposed to make a
> >> sensible backup of this?
> >
> > You need this directory *and* the akonadi database which has the
> > information which mail is stored in which file. For searching you
> > also need the Nepomuk index.
>
> I was afraid of this. Makes also the migration from one client to
> another a bit ugly. And currently it does not seem to me that
> Akonadi is finding widespread acceptance in projects outside the KDE
> world. Importing mails from a directory structure was not a problem
> between clients (to be honest I only tested with thunderbird and
> kmail). I do not like the idea of having data tied to a specific
> application.

You seem to be using IMAP. Where do you see a problem with migrating to
another client?

The account type formerly known as disconnected IMAP is nowadays just a
subtype of IMAP (with cache policy "cache everything"). I'm not sure
whether Akonadi is supposed to store everything in its database or
whether the mail contents is supposed to be stored in files.

> > It would probably be good to have such a kind of backup for Akonadi
> > as well to quicken recovery times on data loss.
>
> I have only looked briefly at the master thesis of Zwerus (2007)[1],
> but in the conclusion there is the suggestion to implement a backup
> system for Akonadi before public release.

Yeah. Would have been nice. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. :-(