[kdepim-users] I rarely complain about Akonadi REALLY!?!

Chris Glasoe crglasoe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:06:08 GMT 2012

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 09:27:48 PM Anders Lund wrote:
> On Torsdag den 26. januar 2012, Thomas Tanghus Olsen wrote:

> > > Just updated from 4.7.4 to 4.8 and akonadiserver v. 1.7.0 on
> > > Kubuntu.
> > > Now I have manually removed all empty and duplicate message tags and
> > > hope that they will not reappear.
> > >
> > >  1) I deleted hundreds and hundreds of keys while akonadiserver
> > >  spiked at> >
> > > 100% CPU. I had to use the mouse for this. If I didn't have carpal
> > > tunnel syndrome before, I am sure to have it now. Why doesn't the
> > > delete key trigger a delete and why is it not possible to select
> > > more than one at a time?
> > >
> > >  2) If they do reappear isn't there some magic query I can run in
> > >
> > > akonadiconsole - which I have to have open all the time anyways - to
> > > remove all empty tags?
> >
> > So ... now I also went through ~180 contacts and deselected empty tags -
> > deselected, because they cannot be removed even though the UI pretends
> > that it is possible. If I want to select a category for a contact I
> > first have to scroll through tens of empty categories to select the one
> > I want.
> >
> > As for KMail it keeps on producing empty tags. Every time I open the
> > configuration dialog and go to Message tags, there are ~10 empty tags
> > even though I had just deleted them. The list will probably grow.
>
> I'm fighting the same issue, still in kde 4.7.4. Maybe it is time to file
> another bug report or two or tree:
>
> 1) kaddressbook (or anything) should not add empty values!
> 2) no app should ever display an empty value in the GUI, it makes no sense!
> 2) there should be a way to clean them up, when they are there.

I have started to loose sight of emails that were displayed yesterday.  OK I
have lost sight of all emails in one IMAP account that were displayed earlier
today.  I have another IMAP account that continues to receive an error that
includes  the following:

KCrash: Application 'akonadi_imap_resource' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/chrisg/.kde4/socket-linux-5xzp.site/kdeinit4__0
void Akonadi::NotificationSource::serviceUnregistered(const QString&)
Notification source "akonadi_imap_resource_11" now serving: ()
void Akonadi::NotificationSource::unsubscribe() "akonadi_imap_resource_11"
Lost connection to resource
"org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_imap_resource_11" , discarding
cached interface
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
The stream parser raised an exception: Unable to read more data
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_imap_resource' returned with
exit code 253 (Unknown error)
Database "akonadi" opened using driver "QMYSQL"

As well as telling me that there is a segmentation fault (11).

What does that mean?!?

How do you determine that something is setup wrong?  or broken?  And if
broken,what is broken and where?