[kdepim-users] KMail 2 getting slower and slower

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Feb 5 21:05:25 GMT 2012

Søndag den 5. februar 2012 13:27:09 Nino Novak skrev:
> Hi,
>
> after several years of using kmail I've always been fascinated by its speed.
>
> Now, only few months after a fresh openSUSE 12.1 install, kmail's speed
> keeps deteriorating more and more. From klicking "Open next unread mail in
> next folder" (the "ctrl_+"-key) to displaying this mail it takes from 10 to
> 50 seconds.
>
> What does it do all the time? There is much HDD I/O going on, so I assume
> it's the akonadi interaction which causes the delay. I can reduce the delay
> a bit by emptying mail folders, but still it's too much waiting only for
> jumping to next unread mail.
>
> Can somebody help me to reduce the delay?

If you look at your process table (ctrl + esc in KDE, or run top(1), do you
see virtuoso-t and/or akonadi_* processes use a lot of CPU? In that case,

* restart nepomuk (I use the systemsettings module, but there is also a dbus
command that i can not remember, and killing virtuoso-t and nepomukserver can
ultimately stop it. After restarting, apps using it must be restarted too,
such as plasma-desktop (activity manager uses nepomuk), bangarang, dolphin,
etc. Don't forget kdepim applications. Applications can of course run, but
many are in a more or less broken state after a nepomuk restart, they are
using a dead communication channel I believe.

*If restarting nepomuk does not do it alone, also restart akonadi. run
akonadictl restart in krunner. Kdepim applications show when akonadi is not
running, just wait, they will reconnect.

In my experience, things runs fine most of the time, but once in a while
akonadi_nepomuk_feeder makes nepomuk go crazy. I experienced that during
importing a lot of mails, and one time during normal workflow, I am not sure
why that happened.

Anders