[kdepim-users] kde slow to start after a crash

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Wed Feb 22 21:38:29 GMT 2012

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On 02/22/2012 03:54 PM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Dear KDE Experts,
> I've a quite frustrating problem, yesterday trying to send a file via
> Skype this crashed and my linux-box became unresponsive.  After
> rebooting KDE started really very slowly (it is taking more or less 20
> minutes to be fully loaded and responsive)
>
> [ trimmed ]

Hi Walter,

Given your situation, I'd create a new user on the machine and login
as that user.  See if it's still slow.  I'd bet the answer is no.  I
suspect there's an issue with some KDE configuration file.

What you need to do is employ bifurcation (or divide-and-conquer) to
determine which configuration file is wonky - and file a bug!  :)

The process should be something like:

o save the new user's home directory
o copy a few files from the old user's ~/.kde4 directory to the new user.
o log in as the new user.  If there's no problem, copy more files.  If
there's a problem, restore and copy less files.

Keep doing the above until you figure out which configuration file is
causing the problem.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926         Blog:  http://pablo.blog.blueoakdb.com