[kdepim-users] Threaded messages

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 25 21:08:46 GMT 2012

On Saturday 25 February 2012, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 25/02/12 08:52, ianseeks wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how Kmail decides to put an email in a
> > conversation thread? Its just that my threads get split up and i
> > can have more than one thread for the same subject.  I was
> > wondering if i've configured it wrong in some way.
>
> There is a header line which starts with "References" and that is
> used for links.  For instance, Andras' reply to you has the line

> which links it to your message.
>
> If someone replies from a mailer that doesn't understand or is not
> set up to handle threading information the new message breaks the
> thread. Sometimes this results in a second thread which should be
> part of the first one.  Hope that explains it well enough.

Almost. :-)

More precisely, KMail uses the following headers with the following
precedence for threading:

In-reply-to (this header contains the message-id of the direct
predecessor of a message; all sane email clients set this header)

References (this header contains an ordered list of message-ids of
several predecessors of a message; this allows KMail to thread messages
correctly even if some replies in the chain of replies are lost)

Subject (only if enabled--see Andras's reply--because it might put
unrelated messages in the same thread; KMail does not put two messages
with the same Subject into the same thread if they were sent more than a
certain number of days apart)