[kdepim-users] KMail2 at kdepim 4.9.0

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Aug 16 21:08:29 BST 2012

On Thursday, 2012-08-16, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 16/08/2012 21:21, Robert Smits wrote:
> > On August 14, 2012 03:08:24 am Robin Atwood wrote:
> >> Does the community consider KMail2 usable yet? I have gotten a bit tired
> >> of installing the latest kdepim and after a day rapidly restoring
> >> 4.4.11.1. Last time the main problem for me was that the filters were
> >> not automatically applied, I had to constantly do C-A/C-J manually.
> >> Also, the mail was never delivered to the inbox folder but the
> >> enveloping one, call Folder or something.
> >>
> >> So what's the feeling out there?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> -Robin
> >
> > Hi, Robin. While I periodically install and check the current iteration
> > of KMail and KDEPIM4, I'm not optimistic that it will ever reach the
> > level of usability as KDEPIM3. While my OS is OpenSuSE 12.1 KDE4, on all
> > my systems I still run the KDE3 version of KDEPIM.
> >
> > It just works, which is not something I can say about KDEPIM4. KDEPIM4
> > still cannot deal with groups and lists, doesn't allow me to use my
> > existing addresses and categories, and isn't, in general, an
> > improvement. It certainly isn't any faster.
> >
> > It's not that I don't appreciate the effort and work that has gone into
> > KDEPIM4, but don't regard the result as particularly useful compared to
> > KDEPIM3.
>
> I am assuming you mean what most call KDEPIM2 when you write KDEPIM4,
> that is the KDE4 version of KDEPIM.

I'd say KDEPIM4 is a reasonable short hand for meaning software from KDE PIM
built on KDE library technology of 4.x versions.

You might be thinking of KMail 2, which is the second major version of that
specific program.

KMail 1 and KMail 2 are both available in a KDEPIM4 set, the switch occuring
around the release of KDE PIM 4.6 if I remember correctly.

> Whether it is an improvement or not is up to each and every one - while
> I can find myself wishing for a "fork" of the old KDEPIM I can
> understand the problem of keeping it alive and updated.

Not sure which version you would wish to have been forked, but in case you are
talking about version 3 library based programs, those are being maintained (by
a couple of companies but I am sure volunteers could help as well) within the
KDE source code repository.

See e.g. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM#Enterprise_branches

Cheers,
Kevin