[kdepim-users] handling akonadi and nepomuk

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Aug 8 10:12:28 BST 2012

On Wednesday, 2012-08-08, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 08.08.2012 10:26, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> >>
> >> I am not sure how Nepomuk controller is usually started, but I would
> >> have expected that to be either through autostart or D-Bus activation.
> >>
> >> In any case I agree that its helper processes should only be controlled
> >> by the controller and not participate in session managment [1].
> >
> > Maybe the problem is that the D-Bus command I suggested stops then wrong
> > service.
> > Try to stop the Nepomuk controller instead of the server
> >
> > qdbus org.kde.nepomukcontroller /MainApplication
> > org.kde.KApplication.quit()
>
> As the nepomukcontroller does not lead to any problem (neither delay nor
> error message in the .xsession-error file) I am not sure if I should
> stop it. Currently I don't know enough about nepomuk.

What I meant is that the controller could be the process making sure all
others are correctly stopped before session managment kicks in.

I came to consider that when I wrote my Akonadi footnote, because the Akonadi
control process is what you want to tell to stop the Akonadi system, not
Akonadiserver.
So even if the Nepomuk service should not participate in session management in
either case, stopping the server might not be the right thing to do, but
stopping Nepomuk controller could.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring