[kdepim-users] Migrating to another computer

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:03:30 BST 2012

On 30/08/2012 08:40, Peter wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2012 08:08:29 you wrote:
>
>  > In the kmail settings, in accounts/receiving, select the storage and
> click
>
>  > "change". Alternatively, in systemsettings, use the "personal
> information"
>
>  > module and find the resource. The dialog is the same.
>
> That is the place where I have it modified now, in accounts/receiving,
> and I have it 'unchecked' so it will not do anything at 'check mail' option.
>
> I don't have a personal module info, that must be with kontact,etc.
>
>  > To avoid the updating of the storage folder itself - which is potentially
>
>  > dangerous and destructive in my experience - you have to uncheck all
> options
>
>  > in kmail receiving accounts settings in the dropdown menu that appears if
>
>  > you click the "receiving settings" button for the account (I
> translate back
>
>  > from danish, so names might be a bit different)
>
> Yes, in 'accounts/receiving' where it has 'Local Folders', there are 3
> options, and all are unchecked.
>
> Most of the folders/subfolders have no stats for unread mail/total mail.
> Is that the 'Update Folder' option ?

It was too long since I migrated for me to remember the details - but I
ended up moving a backup of old mail and contacts to separate folders.
Then started with an empty KMail2, created accounts and so on. finally
imported all old mail and my contacts. That worked better than any
migration attempts and was also the Kubuntu recommended method if I
recall (search on kubuntu.org page).

for the record you do have a "personal information" in System Settings
and the submenu opens these resources we discuss.

/Sinclair