[kdepim-users] KMail forgets POP/SMTP password

PastorJW rev.olson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 21:09:57 BST 2012

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 06:47:49 AM John Aldrich wrote:
> Hey, I've noticed recently that KMail (4.8.4 using KDE 4.8.4 on Fedora 17)
> seems to forget at least my SMTP password, despite the fact that I put it in
> the config and each time it asks for it, I put it in and check "remember
> password." Fortunately, this only seems to happen once whenever I start
> KMail. I normally leave it up, but my machine has developed a bad habit of
> shutting down spontaneously, and sometimes KMail will get hosed if I leave
> it running for days at a time and I have to shut it down and restart it.
> So, as you can see it's not like an every 5 minutes, but more like once or
> twice a day, but that's still aggravating to have to type your password in,
> when KMail is supposed to remember it.

Yes, it happens on the same versions in Ubuntu also so it is a Kmail fault
rather than a distro fault.  It also is what has caused most of my users to
stay with 10.04 Ubuntu rather than moving to 12.04.  I only have 31 user
machines that I take care of but 29 have stay on the 10.04 because of this
lack in Kmail.  The two which went to 12.04 report there is no way to even
save the password in Kmail.  it stays greyed out.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org