[kdepim-users] Migrating to another computer

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Aug 10 09:57:22 BST 2012

Am Freitag, 10. August 2012 schrieb Peter:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find out how to subscribe to the mailing list ??

> In the docs at :
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29
>
> it says ...
>
> Everything under ~/.local/share/
>
> but I have ..
>
> :~$ ls ~/.local/share/
>
> akonadi       desktop-directories  local-mail    rhythmbox  ubuntuone
> applications  Empathy              mime          totem      vlc
> contacts      gvfs-metadata        quadrapassel  Trash      webkit
>
> surely ONLY the akonadi path, and not the others ??

Something in between. For the address book you also need

/usr/share/contacts

I am not aware of any other place in there, that is needed, but then
I see local-mail in your directory listing above. Well I think this
might be required as well. I have it, too.

Yes, thats the local folders resource.

I´d look in akonadiconsole for every resource, where it stores its stuff.

Unfortunately at least some of the pathes do not appear in the config
files:

martin at merkaba:~/.config/akonadi> grep local-mail *
martin at merkaba:~/.config/akonadi#1> grep Mail *
martin at merkaba:~/.config/akonadi#1>

martin at merkaba:~/.config/akonadi#1> grep contacts *
Übereinstimmungen in Binärdatei agent_config_akonadi_nepomuk_feeder_changes.dat.
agentsrc:akonadi_contacts_resource\InstanceCounter=3
agentsrc:akonadi_contacts_resource_0\AgentType=akonadi_contacts_resource

They might be saved in the database or hard-coded (for detaults) then?

Some akonadictl whereismydata command would come in handy for script
based backups. Or even a akonadictl backup command.

There might even be something like that in KDE SC 4.9? Or read of a import
wizard. I am not sure about the backup part, but I think there was some
backup tool for kmail as well. Yes, there is¹.

[1] http://www.aegiap.eu/kdeblog/2012/07/new-application-in-kdepim-4-9-23-backupmail/

Ciao,