[kdepim-users] refresh/rebuild akonadi database - possible SOLVED

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 23:34:43 BST 2012

On 17/08/2012 13:17, Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:20:45 +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> I have one gripe though: searching for mail/messages. It is showing far
>> from the expected number of emails if I search for "internet" in "all
>> folders" (believe me I have many mails on that subject). Same goes for
>> other terms I know I use often in subject line.
>    See bug reports:
> 	https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=281227
> 	https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=294568
> It's not just giving up prematurely, it just isn't applying the
> previous logic.
> For example, with Find Messages on the 'To or 'From' fields, the
> search appears not to be looking for a matching string anywhere in those
> fields, but only for a matching 'component' (where 'component' is either
> the characters to the left of the "@", or to the right).
>     For example, if searching in Sent-mail for email sent to
> "fredsmith at gmail.com", then a search string of "freds" would find
> nothing, nor would even a search string of "gmail'!
>    Only a search string of "fredsmith" would succeed at all, and even
> then it might not find *all* of 'To' fields with that component.
> As a test, I did a Find Messages for "gmail.com" in the 'To' fields of a
> Sent-mail folder containing 4,886 emails. KDE 4.5.2's KMail (1.13.5)
> found 395 emails sent to someone at gmail.com.
>     KDE 4.8.2 on the other hand - given the same email Sent-mail folder -
> found only *11* matches:
>    --
First I want confirmation what I did is not a fluke and solves for 
others. If so I want to go to kde forums etc and post it but not before 

For starters this is KDE 4.9 on Kubuntu 12.04 and might not at all work 
on other versions or distros.

I edited the file
to set the lines

the first one seems to advice the system indexing is done and the second 
one to use CPU regardless of state

Saved the file and did from konsole akonadictl stop, akondictl start.

Watched cpu getting crazy with virtuoso-t and let it take time.

Sequent searches on Subject, From, To etc takes a little bit time but 
seems accurate like in thousands of results in "from: anna" being 1 
friend 1 colleague and several years of mails saved.

Now cpu has calmed down and the ......rc file states

though I left it at the ....Detection=true

YMMV but for me now search seems working and accurate.

If others confirm this may be good input for packagers (clearly how an 
upgrade should be done) and maintainers as well as userbase and kde forums.

KDE PIM users mailing list
Subscription management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users

More information about the kdepim-users mailing list