[kdepim-users] Confused by search

Russ Kepler russ at kepler-eng.com
Sat Apr 21 19:02:33 BST 2012

I'm running KDE through Kubuntu, kontact -v gives:

Qt: 4.8.1
KDE Development Platform: 4.8.2 (4.8.2)
Kontact: 4.8.2

I am having some real trouble with searching.  I have one folder with about
1GB of old messages that I would like to search.  At one point I was not
getting any results at all so I removed and reimported it, after something
like 100 hours of CPU time I can search it to some extent.

Selecting the message folder and using the search at the top gives 13 messages
all containing the search word ("backplate" in this case) in the "Subject:".

When I 'grep -i "word" * | grep "Subject:"' in the MailDir directory I get 13
results as well, that's a good thing.

Extending the search to the text of the message using the "Find Messages"
dialog I search the same folder, "Complete Message" for the same word and get
14 messages.

Using: 'grep -l -i "word" * | wc -l' I get 181 hits.

So I'm guessing that the body of the message is missing some indexing?  How
can I find out what is and is not indexed, both in the "what is supposed to be
done" and the "what has been done on my data" senses?