[kdepim-users] Connecting to KAddressBook

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 07:59:31 BST 2012

On 13/04/12 23:47, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 13. April 2012 schrieb O. Sinclair:
>> On 13/04/12 13:31, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>>> Hi Kevin,

>>> Is that irony?
>>>
>>> I thought Libreoffice could just use Akonadi to retrieve the
>>> addressbook data and then be independent of the way it is stored
>>> which may even not be local like a LDAP based addressbook.
>>
>> Well - Akonadi is a KDE technology, at least for now, and I doubt that
>> Libre/Openoffice has made any efforts yet to adapt to it. Possibly
>> Calligra but that was not the question.
>>
>> Fact remains: your Personal Contacts is a folder with vcard files in
>> it. All but Distrbution Lists/Groups should work if you point
>> Libreoffice to it and LOffice has a function for vcard folders.
>
> On *some* setups.
>
> Let me see:
>
> - KDE address book (traditional)
> - Personal Contacts (which should be like VCard directory in
> ./local/share/contacts I suppose)
> - VCard Directory
> - VCard File
>
> is possible.
>
> Okay, I do not find LDAP in the list of agents I can add in akonadiconsole,
> but still, sooner or later I hope there will be something like this
> (again).
>
> So, while accessing a vcard folder at ~/.local/share/contacts might be
> easiest for now, it does only work for the standard "Personal Contacts"
> agent.
>
> When I use a second adress book at a different vcard directory I won´t see
> it in Libre Office unless I can configure several vcard folders. And actually
> I use one. Thus at least I would have to configure my addressbooks *twice*.
>
> And thats exactly the idea behind Akonadi. I configure my PIM data stuff
> once and access the pim data everywhere.
>
> And AFAIK Akonadi is no KDE-only technology at all.

Tell me exactly who else but KDE use Akonadi/Nepomuk and friends?

and Personal Contacts is a vcard directory, trust me. I have relied on
that to get back my Addressbook 14 times now when suddenly KDEPIM
decides that mail address autocompletion in a new mail should not work.

However, you are of course correct about the concept of Akonadi but do
the LibreOffice developers care? There should be a forum/mailinglist
where you might find that out.