[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Sep 24 19:32:00 BST 2011

Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> Hi,

Hi!

> As part of migrating away from kdepim entirely, I've created a local
> IMAP instance in Dovecot and configured this as a local receiving
> account. It shows up in the left sidebar of kmail.
>
> kmail version      4.7.0
> KDE version        4.7.0
> Local folder       ~/.local/share/local-mail
> local imap folder  ~/.maildir
>
> I've used this local imap trick for years when migrating, it always
> works well. I should be able to drag folder trees, individual folders
> or individual mails from kmail's Local folders to the IMAP account and
> have the original mails be moved. It does not appear to work with
> kmail2 properly.
>
> Dragging items to the IMAP folder makes them appear in kmail's display
> in the correct place and they can be read. However, the originals are
> no longer in ~/.local/share/local-mail and do not appear in ~/.maildir
> either. They seem to have been deleted off disk.

I am quite reluctant migrating over to KDEPIM 2 anytime soon, given this
and the other posts in this and other thread about mail getting deleted.

Debian Qt/KDE developers did not yet package KDE 4.7.x and actually that
might be a good thing.

While I think that Akonadi is a good idea, the term "overengineerd" comes
to my mind now and then. When I consider how long it took until
KAdressBook 2 did work nicely here.

I am using KDE 4.6.5 and KDEPIM 4.4.11 works quite stable except for some
quite annoying hangs now and then when trying to send a mail. The composer
window would just sit there greyed out and nothing apparently is happening
anymore. KMail won´t respond to clicks either except for closing the
window when it offers me to sent as draft. Which I click then, to have an
additional copy. But then it doesn´t appear to do anything. I sigterm or
even sigkill it and then if I am lucky I have the mail in sent folder.

Anyway, its working quite stable and its not loosing mail.

So I wonder is loosing mail with KMail 2 some experiences of very few
users or is it more wide-spread? What about the idea to import instead of
migrate?

Would KMail 2 work with my current Akonadi SQLite setup at all? How to
migrate if not? I bet there isn´t much to migrate as only contacts data is
cached yet.

How will Akondi work in NFS based environments? I bet a central database
server is a requirement there.

I am quite puzzled that so many questions easily pop up in my mind when
all whats lying ahead is a switch from KMail 1 to KMail 2. And KMail
basically is "just" a MUA.

Anyway, from all I read here and elsewhere I think I will wait with the
switch at least until Debian Qt/KDE team packages it officially. Cause data
loss is no acceptable behavior for me.

That said I appreciate all the work on KDEPIM 2 and hope that it will be
safe to switch to it soon.

Ciao,