[kdepim-users] KMail2 how to create custom message id

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 21:45:12 BST 2011

On Tuesday 06 September 2011, Malte Gell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use several smtp accounts and want to set a custom message id for
> each smtp account. How can I do this?
>
> In the smtp settings I see these settings: "send custom hostname to
> server" and "use custom sender address". What do these settings do?
> Is this the way to create custome message ids?
>
> Why the hell has the behaviour changed with KMail2? Kmail 1 made the
> email address part of the message id, this just was great.

I suppose the reason is that KMail2 uses a different MIME library. While
in KMail1 we had to deal ourselves with the creation of the Message-id
this is now handled by the new MIME library. I'm not sure whether that's
really the reason, but you can be sure that the developers didn't change
the behavior just to annoy some users. If they changed behavior then
most likely that's because they reduced the complexity of KMail's code
by making use of functionality provided by the used libraries. Write a
feature request if you really want this feature back. Or, even better,
find somebody who writes and posts a corresponding patch.