[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Michael Harnden mike at rochestervball.com
Wed Sep 7 15:23:39 BST 2011

Quoting "James K. Gruetzner" <jkgruet at sandia.gov>:

> On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 07:34:11 Darknight wrote:

>> > I'm fed up too, I used to swear by kmail but no more.
>> > I'm going to use thunderbird but I still need to move my (gargantuan)
>> > folders to the imap server, can claws *painlessly* import them and do the
>> > work?
>>
>> I reply to myself so that others may benefit. I found out that I can create
>> an mbox resource and put the mail there, other mail programs will be able
>> to read it.
>
> If you have time, could you either post a how-to or a link on how to
> do this (I'm
> a scientific programmer, not an applications guy).  I've been using
> kmail for years
> and haven't switched to kmail2 yet.  The prospect of kmail2 silently
> deleting mail
> folders as reported is a large risk, so I'd best start looking for
> and evaluating
> other options soon.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>    James

I will belatedly throw my two cents in. I accidently updated to kmail2
on my family's main machine. I use a kolab server for my email server.
My migration went flawlessly, my wife's did not. She wasn't able to
delete emails, and had lost some. The problem in her case was
permissions on the imap folders. Don't know if it was Kmail or kolab,
but once I reset her permissions on her inbox and her folders to
"all", every thing worked as intended.

Mike