[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Sep 7 16:13:48 BST 2011

Am 07.09.2011 16:07, schrieb James K. Gruetzner:
> On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 07:34:11 Darknight wrote:

>>> I'm fed up too, I used to swear by kmail but no more.
>>> I'm going to use thunderbird but I still need to move my (gargantuan)
>>> folders to the imap server, can claws *painlessly* import them and do the
>>> work?
>>
>> I reply to myself so that others may benefit. I found out that I can create
>> an mbox resource and put the mail there, other mail programs will be able
>> to read it.
>
> If you have time, could you either post a how-to or a link on how to do this (I'm
> a scientific programmer, not an applications guy).  I've been using kmail for years
> and haven't switched to kmail2 yet.  The prospect of kmail2 silently deleting mail
> folders as reported is a large risk, so I'd best start looking for and evaluating
> other options soon.

If you really need your mails use an imap server. dovecot is not hard to
set up and you can use every mail client you want. I use an imap server
for more than ten years (which handles the filtering independent from
mail client btw.) and use kmail, thunderbird, and some other mail
clients without any problems.

I never had migration issues, besides setting up the mail program to my
needs.

Regards

Martin