[kdepim-users] KMail crashes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:56:05 BST 2011

On Thursday 01 Sep 2011 Alexander Harrowell wrote:
> I'm encountering a very annoying KMail crash. Earlier today I cleared my
> /tmp/ after noticing performance problems, which it resolved. I restarted
> KMail in Kontact.
>
> Unpleasantly, I can't now reply to e-mail. KMail freezes either after a
> couple of lines are written, or else on hitting "send", whether from the
> menu or the button or the keyboard, whether POP3 or IMAP4.
>
> I got a KWallet "An application may be misbehaving" message at one point.
> So I forced KMail to re-apply for access to the wallet, granted it, which
> fixed nothing. Doesn't seem any different in KMail standalone vs. Kontact.

How did you clear your /tmp?  If you just deleted the files there, that could
have caused the problem.  A nicer way of dealing with this is to run
'usr/sbin/tmpwatch --mtime --verbose --verbose 168 /tmp' in a cron job - I
clean mine out weekly - which makes sure that old files are deleted but
anything recent enough to be still needed is untouched.

Log out and back in - that should re-create your sockets, I would have
thought.  If the worst comes to the worst you can always reboot.

Anne