[kdepim-users] Kaddressbook lost contacts 11.10 upgrade

Andreas Zeller a-zeller at web.de
Mon Oct 24 11:05:41 BST 2011

Am 22.10.2011, 10:12 Uhr, schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

> On Thursday, 2011-10-20, Gus Zernial wrote:
>> I just upgraded from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, using the KPackageKit
>> desktop notification and
>> "start upgrade now". Subsequently when I opened Kaddressbook its
>> contacts list was empty.

I have the same problem as Gus. After the update-process the contacts are
lost. I also had some problems with KMail, it crashes all the times when
started, so I can't open Kontact. Because I didn't use KMail, I removed
it. Now Kontact and the calender works. I don't think, this is connected
to the KAddressbook-Problem.

I use KDE 4.7.1 Kontact 4.7.2 KAdressbook 4.7.2

kde4-config --localprefix says /home/USER/.kde/

>> As a test, in 11.10 I imported an old vcf card file into Kaddressbook,
>> and on that basis I believe the
>> Kaddressbook contacts are now stored as individual vcf cards in
>> ~/.local/share/contacts. Is that correct?

my ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains only WARNING_README.txt

If I look in my backups, ~/.local/share/contacts doesn't exist.

> Yes, that's the default location for the addressbook called "Personal
> Contacts".
> I am on a very old KDE setup, upgraded through the years, so my
> addressbook is
> still $HOME/.kde/share/config/kabc/std.vcf

~/.kde/share/config/kabc/ doesn't exist in my home neither in my backup.

> The most likely location, if it isn't $HOME/.local/share/contacts is
> $KDEHOME/share/apps/kabc, where $KDEHOME is usually $HOME/.kde if the
> variable

my ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ contains only empty *.vcf files and if I look
back in my backups, that's this way since month but KAdressbook works
properly till last week

I assume my contacts where stored with Akonadi since the update to KDE4
but where? And how to import? Back then I followed the advices during the
update process.

Desperately waiting for help
Andreas