[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 20:50:00 GMT 2011

Werner Joss wrote:

> On Thursday 24 November 2011 21:27:02 Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Hi Werner :)
>
> hi Andras ;-)
> (I see you know who I am, remember the times back with eric, quanta,
> akademy ludwigsburg...)

Sure I do!

>> Werner Joss wrote:
>> >
>> > it's not only that.
>> > having $HOME on another partition (same HD) via symlink, crashes
>> > akonadi directly.
>> > unbelievable, but true.
>>
>> This is news for me. Have you reported it?
>
> I'm not sure, but I think I saw a similar bug report.
> in addition, I must say I gave up on kde4/akonadi/nepomuk whatsoever
> awhile ago, when I realized that trinity keeps kde 3.5 alive on recent
> distros. including quanta+, of course :)

This is sad to hear, but of course I can accept the decisions (and with
Quanta I can perfectly understand ;) - sorry for not taking it forward).
However, if you can, give some chance to KDE4 in the future, especially with
KDE 4.8. I don't promise everything will  be fixed, but it improves nicely.
I had my share of Akonadi/KMail/Nepomuk bashing (just ask my coworkers), but
still use it (well, except nepomuk) and I have to say that after the initial
hops of getting it working, it does the job just as well as the old KMail.
Of course the initial hops is not acceptable for a regular user, I know...

Andras