[kdepim-users] Frequent coruptions of data base. Any remedies?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 19:11:47 GMT 2011

On Monday, November 14, 2011 23:41:01 Kishore Jonnalagadda wrote:

> I sure hope for that too. I was in a rather embarrassing situation a
> few days back... I took my laptop to a clients placed, resumed it and
> hooked it up to a projector and began my presentation. Then several
> minutes later the imap resources started bombarding notification back
> to back and I had a tough time getting rid of them as they just kept
> on popping up! :( For next time ill have to create a presentation
> activity with notifications disabled. --

Disabling notifications during a presentation is a must to do for
everybody. I had my share of "fun" because of that. :)

But back to the IMAP problem, as far as I know the issue is that the TCP
sockets used have a very large timeout. So a socket is opened towards
the server, you suspend/resume. From the app point of view, the socket
is still open, but the server closed the connection meantime. The app
(the IMAP agent) just sits and waits for the data without being notified
that the socket is not valid anymore. The timeout is 20 minutes or so...
We need to workaround the system's timeout for tcp socket and detect the
network loss in another way.

I know this doesn't help the user, I just try to give an explanation
about the technical reason for the problem.

Andras