[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 4 20:02:38 GMT 2011

On Friday, 2011-11-04, Andreas Zeller wrote:
> Am 04.11.2011, 17:47 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> > The database should be able to pick them up, but if you have backed up
> > ~/.local/share/akonadi you will also be able to restore the database at
> > the
> > time that they matched, so that should be OK.
>
> That's sounds like the data was stored in
> ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ibdata1 and
> ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi/collectionable.idb as I asumed?

Those locations should only contain data temporarily, e.g. as a cache.
I.e. data in there can usually be restored through the resources.

> So
> a backup of ~/ is enough for a efficient backup? Also for my Calender
> which is stored in /~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics?

See below.

> > At some point in the 4.6.x series the tray icon was lost and was
> > replaced by
> > Akonadi Console, which you should be able to find listed if you put
> > Akonadi
> > into KRunner (Alt-F2).
>
> I have several Akonadi programs installed but non of them is called
> "console" and non of them offers me a backup and restore function as
> written here:
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups

The program executable is akonadiconsole, probably in a separate package since
it is more a developer/internal tools.

> But that doesn't matter if...
>
> >> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?
> >
> > I don't think so, yet.  Making it part of a scheduled backup is the best
> > bet.
>
> ...my backup of ~/ is sufficient?

Yes. I always backup $HOME since I also want backup of all my other data :)
It is definitely sufficient to backup PIM data, have been doing that for about a
decade now.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring