[kdepim-users] Frequent coruptions of data base. Any remedies?

Stephan Diestelhorst stephan.diestelhorst at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 17:20:54 GMT 2011

On 9 November 2011 15:16, Stephan Diestelhorst
<stephan.diestelhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I get frequent corruptions of my Akonadi data base. One issue is
> that the laptop sometimes does not properly suspend / resume and I am
> forced to hard power cycle the machine. It seems that the akonadi DB
> is very brittle in this regard, despite proper FS restore on the next
> boot, I frequently get errors similar to this:

[...]
> which makes the whole of Akonadi and PIM unusable.
>
> Is there any way I can gt this thing to work more reliably?

This seems to be MySQL / InnoDB's fault. According to
http://www.chriscalender.com/?tag=innodb-power-failure their database
setup is really flakey and while they see that they could make it more
stable, they didn't choose to do so. :(

I am currently testing with the suggested settings of

sync_binlog = 1
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1

in .local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf

Is there a reason why they are not default? If my email were POP, I
would have lost considerable amounts of mail by this.

The MySQL folks suggest to dump the database and manually feeding the
data back in there, maybe AKonadi could do that?

> Whenever one of these happens, I usually end up deleting
> ~/.local/share/akonadi and setting up all the mail servers etc. again.
> Is there another, more flexible approach?

Deleting ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/* does work, too and does not
remove the settings.

> Would changing to a different database server / filesystem be advisable?

If this does not work, I will try out PostgreSQL, which hopefully is a
real data base with some crucuail features and will work with Akonadi.

Stephan