[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

dirk dns_hmpf at web.de
Tue Nov 1 07:35:08 GMT 2011

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 31 Oct 2011 09:42:39 Andreas Zeller wrote:
>> > What are all these std.vcf and std.vcf_x files for (especially given
>> > that they are all empty)?
>>
>> Welcome to my world (see "Kaddressbook lost contacts 11.10 upgrade"
from
>> 22. October 2011)
>>
>> std.vcf should contain the data and the other appear to be backups, I
>> assume. These files are empty even in my backups for weeks and months.
>> Since KDE4 the data is handled by a Database called Akonadi.
>>
> If your backup files are empty, dating back for weeks and months, it
> cannot be
> in any way related to Akonadi.  It sounds as though you have been
happily
> using addresses from Recent Addresses, saved in the kmail config files,
> without realising that you had lost data.

KAdressBook started to use Akonadi with KDE 4.4 already and if I go back
in my incremental backup I find valid *.vcf files in
~/.local/share/contacts and 0 byte std.vcf* files in
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc dating back to my earliest backups of this machine
in January 2011 (see also http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook which
refers currently to version 4.4).

KDE 4.4 was introduced in Kubuntu with 10.04. If one of the kubuntu ppas
was in use that might be different.

Cheers,
Dirk