[kdepim-users] Using PostgreSQL backend

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 5 09:34:53 GMT 2011

Hi!

I just want to report that I use a systemwide PostgreSQL server for
Akonadi - still KDE 4.6.5, since KDE 4.7 debian packages are not ready yet
- for about a month or so.

It works fine so far.

I did not yet implement any backup strategy, but as long as its only used
for contacts it doesn´t seem to store anything that can´t be restored.

I used the instructions from Wouter Verhelst who thinks MySQL is a toy[1]:

No more MySQL on my machine
http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/debian/no_more_mysql

Whether it is really a toy or not, the instructions work. They do not
include anything about migrating data tough. Which AFAIR does not matter
as long as its just for contacts.

Inspired by that Russell Coker switched his Akonadi to a system wide MySQL
server including migrating previous data:

Russell Coker: Akonadi on a MySQL Server
http://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/10/11/akonadi-on-a-mysql-server/

I didn´t test these instructions. I am wary about MySQL mainly because the
way Oracle seems to go with it. Sure there are alternatives like MariaDB,
but then I think I like my current PostgreSQL setup good enough and are
not sure whether / which alternatives have the necessary (wo)man power
behind it. Let´s see how good it scales when I switch to KDEPIM 2.

[1] Why I think MySQL is a toy.
http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/cluebat/mysql_toy_argument

Ciao,