[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:47:08 GMT 2011

On Friday 04 Nov 2011 Andreas Zeller wrote:
> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
> > That's where you should be seeing them, yes.  I'm rooting around for
> > things
> > that we may have missed :-(
>
> I've got it!
>
> Mark Fraser (see below) told me to take the drag point on the left of
> Kontact to expand the address book list. HEUREKA, her they are.
>
> Now I wan't to reorganize the recourses.
>
> KDE Address Book (traditional), stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf
> contains 332 files like 0zOAxp8Uzi (without file extension) and seems to
> work fine.
>
> Personal Contacts, stored in ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains 225 files
> like N2Hc4XYPUi.vcf But there are some contacts lost and no pictures
> stored.
>
> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi Resource
> Configuration? What about the files in ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?

I would leave them all alone, and use the addressbook that suits you best.  If
in Personal Contacts you create Folders, copying or moving address records
into those, you are in effect adding a tag.  They are still, as far as I can
tell, the same record, just tagged as Family, Friend, Business, or whatever
you call your folders.  I believe, too, that that directory contains a cache,
so will not always display every record in the database.  I don't really
follow the logic of that, so I'm waiting to see how that pans out, but it's
one of the reasons that I prefer to have a second addressbook - if I can't see
the record I want, it should still be in the other one.

> And what about the BACKUP?
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups (and
> even the German Version) is not really helpful. My home-backup will
> contain all files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but restore (copy) them
>  from a backup will cause inconsistency in the database, am I right?

The database should be able to pick them up, but if you have backed up
~/.local/share/akonadi you will also be able to restore the database at the
time that they matched, so that should be OK.

> I can't fount Akonadi tray icon.

At some point in the 4.6.x series the tray icon was lost and was replaced by
Akonadi Console, which you should be able to find listed if you put Akonadi
into KRunner (Alt-F2).

> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?

I don't think so, yet.  Making it part of a scheduled backup is the best bet.

Anne