[kdepim-users] nepomuk akonadi pim and all

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Nov 27 22:06:40 GMT 2011

Hi,

Martin (KDE) wrote:
> What I don't get: there are many processes running around with akonadi in
> its name and it would be great if someone can point me to some
> documentation what they are for and how I can configure them.

Usually there is a process for every account, every contact source, every
calendar source and in 4.7 three processes feeding Akonadi data to the
Nepomuk indexer (contact, calendar, email). In KDE 4.8 there is one nepomuk
indexer for all of those (and it is more optimized).
 There is also the Akonadi server process and a small helper "control"
process for the server.
 If you see an akonadi_agent_launcher, look the whole command line for the
real process name. This is like kdeinit4 for the rest of KDE.
 If you want more specific answer, ask which process you are interested in.

> kmail uses akonadi and akonadi use nepomuk, so far so good. But what use
> kmail nepomuk for?

Nepomuk is used by KMail (and many other parts of KDE) to do searches in all
kind of data. Inside KMail it is used for full text mail search and for
addressbook search in the KMail composer.

> I saw the nepomuk virtuoso-t process running and
> collecting data (at 200 MB I stopped it, removed the data and restarted
> it) but what for? How is the data maintained (old stuff removed)? How can
> the user tune the nepomuk database?

Sorry, don't know the details of nepomuk. The configuration settings are in
System Settings->Desktop search. How well they work, how fine you can tune,
can't tell. But there are still some issues with it, and nepomuk sometimes
goes crazy and uses 100% CPU (see a recent mail on the kdepim devel list).

> I saw a configure option in my mail folders called something like "enable
> full text index". What is it good for and what do I loose if I disable it?

AFAIK, you will lose full text search for those mails.

> I have strigi disabled, so nepomuk data most likely are not from the
> strigi stuff.

Nepomuk gets data from multiple places (feeders). Strigi gives that from the
file system, the akonadi feeders give the data from akonadi data.

I hope this clears up some things.

Andras