[kdepim-users] Spurious mail folders

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:12:11 GMT 2011

On 11/28/2011 08:34 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> When I tested KMail 2 I had several spurious folders created.  I do
>> remember that Kevin wrote about this at some time, but I can't find
>> the mail or blog from which I read it.  If I recall correctly, the
>> problem occurs if a folder contains unread messages at the moment of
>> migration. OTOH, I may be remembering that completely wrong.  In my
>> case the folders concerned all had names beginning with upper case
>> letters (most of my folders do), and a new folder with a lower-case
>> letter was created, such as
>>
>> A-spam
>> a-spam
>>
>> KMail 1 doesn't see those folders, but KMail 2 did, and Thunderbird
>> does.  Whatever the problem is, it's on the IMAP server, as it
>> doesn't seem possible to do anything about it on the client end -
>> moving to trash
>
> With KMail 2? Or with Thunderbird?

I had to leave KMail 2 - it was unusable for me - and they don't show in
KMail 1.  They do in Thunderbird, and that was where I first tried to
remove them.

>> merely results in a new entity being created upon
>> restart.
>
> Created by KMail? Or also by Thunderbird?

Thunderbird.

> Does this only happen with migrated folders? Or also with newly created
> folders beginning with an upper case letter?

It only happened with a few migrated folders.  All of those had unread
messages in them at the time of the migration.  There were perhaps 40
other folders beginning with UC characters which migrated without
problems and without those spurious folders.  I think it's true that all
of those had no unread messages at the moment of migration.

>> In a mail client, clicking on one of them results in a message that
>> the server replied that they do not exist.
>
> Is the server correct? Did you look at the server?

Put it this way - I haven't managed to find them :-)

>> My question, then, is should I seek these folders on the server and
>> delete them there?  Any hints?
>
> You can try.

In the meantime I've done quite a lot of looking around on the server
and can't find them.  I thought that ~/Maildir would be the place to
start, followed by ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap/ then ~/.local and I
checked all those on the client laptop + thunderbird folders (though
that seemed unlikely to be the cause since KMail 2 had also seen them).
 I guess that Kevin will have the answer, so we'll have to wait for him
to come back unless you have any other good ideas :-)

Anne
--
Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or