[kdepim-users] Unable to create new address book

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Nov 26 22:24:18 GMT 2011

O. Sinclair wrote:
> I do of course understand the nature of open source coding done by "I
> happen to like it" coders. On the other hand I could argue that projects
> like Nepomuk and KDE receive funding from EU and others who could
> (should?) put requirements of professional attitude as a condition. And
> yes, anyone who ever worked with outside funding are familiar with
> conditions attached.

Just to make it clear: if one part of KDE gets funding for a certain purpose
from the EU, a company, an individual, it doesn't mean the rest also gets
ANYTHING from that. Most of the developers still do this in their free time.
In some cases they do it on work time, but with specific goals required by
their employer. This might or might not include what you (or other users)
imagine.

> In either case I will still maintain that releasing software aimed at
> the usage of literally millions of people without a manual and
> documentation is bad practice. Full stop.

FYI, KMail has a manual, so does Kontact. Might be partially outdated, but
it has.
Not having a manual is bad, I agree, but I also said what is the reasoning
and the only way to change this situation is to join the project and help.

Andras