[kdepim-users] Frequent coruptions of data base. Any remedies?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Nov 13 18:51:43 GMT 2011

Kishore Jonnalagadda wrote:

> I just read your blog and it explains this well. Could you slightly expand
> on the format used for imap cache? Folder hierarchy and how we can maybe
> read and understand the database files?

The answer unfortunately is not that easy, it'd be along the side of
explaining the database layout. You can run the akonadiconsole tool and try
to explore the database. In short - in case of mails: collections are
folders, pimitems are mail, parts are parts of mails (envelope, header,
body), payload is the actual content of a part. remoteId is also important,
it identifies where the cached item points to (e.g your IMAP folder for a
collection).
 As explained in the blog, sometimes the payload data is stored in an
external file. It will still have an entry to it in the database though.

> Here is the reason I ask for the above info. I use disconnected imap with
> gmail and if you use gmail/imap you would know that it has a pseudo
> "[Gmail]" folder under which it has its "sent", "thrash" etc. This [Gmail]
> folder itself can contain no mail but for some reason, akonadi thinks it
> has 14 mail and tries to retrieve them when I clickmon the folder and
> starts endlessly spinning. I noticed the 14 number in the folder
> properties dialog.

This looks like either a bug in the IMAP agent or in GMail's imap
implementation. Have you reported this bug on bugs.kde.org? I don't use
gmail, so can't comment on it, but other devels I know were looking at gmail
compatibility and already fixed some issues.

> Now I want to tell akonadi to dump that's folder and
> rebuild its index for it. I don't want to do that for the full account as
> that process took almost 48hrs the last time.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as index rebuilding. The closes thing
is Update Folder from the context menu (or Update Folder and subfolders).
This is what synchronizes the cache with the real data.

> For some info on the way I use my system, I rarely restart but
> suspend/resume several times a day and my home dir is on a local hdd. By
> the way, akonadi seems to be very poor at recognizing internet connection
> loss. I often have to restart akonadi but sometimes toggling kmail
> online/offline helps.

This is a known bug inside the IMAP agent - I also suffer from it, the
developer who wrote the IMAP agent is aware of it and I hope he will fix it
short term.
 Switching the agent offline/online should help (you can do it from
akonadiconsole if turning KMail itself offline/online does not help).

Andras