[kdepim-users] Unable to create new address book

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 08:02:16 GMT 2011

On 25/11/11 23:46, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:18:56 +0100
> Thomas Olsen<thomas at tanghus.net>  wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 24 November 2011 00:17 Thomas Taylor wrote:
>>> Hi all;
>>> I haven't been able to create a new address book (not folder under personal)
>>> in Kontact-contacts. Reported as bug 287395.
>>>
>>> When in the contacts section and select "file>  new>  addressbook" it
>>> displays a dialog box with some pre-defined choices but no way to enter a
>>> unique name.
>>
>> You have to select a resource type and then configure it. If you want a new
>> address book you can select VCard Directory, select the folder you want to
>> contain the address book (you can create a new folder from the dialog) and
>> click OK.
>> It will then have a name like 'akonadi_vcarddir_resource_0'. Right click on
>> the new resource, select 'Folder properties' and change the name.
>>
>> Or select VCard File, select to the folder where you want the address book to
>> reside, enter the *file name* of the address book eg. 'addressbook.vcf' (can
>> be a non-existent file), click OK and enter Display name.
>>
>> If this solves your problem remember to update the bug report.
>>

> Thanks Thomas, wish that information had been included in the help function.  I
> was able ro create the new address book with your help.

As a bit of a rant - the documentation of KDE and KDEPIM is in sad
state. KDE 3.5 is fairly well documented but I do not feel like walking
down the Trinity project path.

I have just upgraded to 11.10 and KDEPIM 4.7. That somehow felt like
when kids jumps on a river where the ice is breaking up, jumping from
one solid piece of ice to the next. And somehow it worked but not thanks
to F1, KDE Help, KDE Userbase or any like resources.

No - it worked thanks to mailingslists, bugreports and online forums.
That is fine for me, an experienced user who has worked in IT for 20
years. But as for friends, family and colleagues it is useless and
pointless.

My kids will be on KDE 4.4 that is OK for them and the hardware they
use. Wife will stay on 4.5 as she is totally uninterested in any fancy
tagging and so on functions - she is fine when she can email
(thunderbird sadly), browse social media, do music and skype.

How can I recommend KDE and even worse KDEPIM when the HELP and
documentation is so fragmented it is frankly ridiculous?

When I worked as a developer we were not allowed to release the software
beyond BETA until help and manuals were updated.