[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Thu Nov 24 13:58:20 GMT 2011

[ Comments below, in-line ]

On Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 08:37 AM, jmaldrich at yahoo.com penned
about Re: [kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

> Is KMail now storing emails in a DATABASE???? If so, how the heck do
> I switch back to plain old file-based email????

Howdy,

It's my /limited/ understanding that only metadata is stored in a
(MySQL) database.

For now, I'm moving to Thunderbird.  It has a lot of extremely nice
features which work well for my needs:  customize shortcuts, external
editor, optional HTML e-mail (although I'm not a fan of HTML e-mail,
there are times when it's useful) calendar, file based, etc.  I'm
still learning it so I may hit an issue but so far so good.

I do like kmail but I need to get work done.

I tried to manually migrate from kmail to kmail2 (export kmail folders
and import them to kmail2) however it was taking way way too long.
kmail2 was eating nearly 2 GiB of RAM.

FWIW, Thunderbird, with all the add-ons, is sitting at 128 MiB.  I
haven't imported one of my archive folders but I plan on doing that
later this morning.  At which point I'll be able to tell if
Thunderbird will be my (temporary?) replacement for kmail.

Cheers,
---
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)