[kdepim-users] Unable to create new address book

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 13:44:13 GMT 2011

On 27/11/11 00:24, Andras Mantia wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> I do of course understand the nature of open source coding done by "I
>> happen to like it" coders. On the other hand I could argue that projects
>> like Nepomuk and KDE receive funding from EU and others who could
>> (should?) put requirements of professional attitude as a condition. And
>> yes, anyone who ever worked with outside funding are familiar with
>> conditions attached.
>
> Just to make it clear: if one part of KDE gets funding for a certain purpose
> from the EU, a company, an individual, it doesn't mean the rest also gets
> ANYTHING from that. Most of the developers still do this in their free time.
> In some cases they do it on work time, but with specific goals required by
> their employer. This might or might not include what you (or other users)
> imagine.
>
>> In either case I will still maintain that releasing software aimed at
>> the usage of literally millions of people without a manual and
>> documentation is bad practice. Full stop.
>
> FYI, KMail has a manual, so does Kontact. Might be partially outdated, but
> it has.
> Not having a manual is bad, I agree, but I also said what is the reasoning
> and the only way to change this situation is to join the project and help.

I was considering to end this discussion here, seeing we are clearly not
on the same page. I have done coding work both as an employee and for
the fun of it (trying to learn how si-and-so works) and for anything I
would consider worthy of letting others use I would create a manual
before releasing it to users.

However - you claim there is a KMail and Kontact manual. Possibly.
Online perhaps. But when I press F1 in Kontact or KMail2 on Kubuntu
11.10 I get "documentation not found" and nothing else.

This could be packagers, I am not sure of course. But my belief is that
the coding is way ahead of the documentation. And I still maintain that
this is bad coding practice, regardless of being voluntary or paid for work.