[kdepim-users] Kaddressbook lost contacts 11.10 upgrade

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 6 11:36:41 GMT 2011

On Saturday, 2011-11-05, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2011 schrieb Gus Zernial:
> > I just upgraded from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, using the KPackageKit
> > desktop notification and
> > "start upgrade now". Subsequently when I opened Kaddressbook its
> > contacts list was empty.
>
> So that at least seemed to happen to two Kubuntu users and and each time
> the std.vcf files where empty. Right? So it seems that Kubuntu previously
> used a non-standard location for contacts.
>
> Does the migrator take this into account?

The migrator should take this into account, it works itself through the kabc
config.

However, I don't think this is what has happened.
My guess is that the contacts were imported into "Personal Contacts" at some
point, but that import did either not work correctly or got corrupted later on
(some users report resource pointing to a non-existant directory).

Thus contacts ending up in Akonadi's cache only (i.e. not written to actual
storage location).

The weird thing is that this has most likely already happended during one of
the earlier upgrades since there have been no changes to address book
resources in quite a while.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring