[kdepim-users] how to use KMail as portable client?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 1 20:00:13 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 01 Nov 2011 11:25:02 Aekold Helbrass wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I like kmail way more than gmail UI, and I am using external HDD for
> all my personal stuff, across 3 PCs with different versions of KDE and
> KDE-PIM. So I have 3 main questions:
>
> 1. If I am using imap configuration - will it work as portable or it
> will still have some local storage and will act similarly to "offline
> imap"?
]
By default your client will download headers onto your local machine, though
you can choose to have offline imap, called dimap by kmail.

> 2. I see that I can create KMail maildir, maildir or mailbox,

those are storage options - maildir stores each message in a separate file,
whereas mailbox concatenates them into one large file.  Maildir is faster,
especially if you have a lot of messages.

> but then
> I need external apps for sending and receiving, and KMail will be just
> browsing UI?

No.  You can either tell it to use your ISP's smtp server or you can use
Gmail's smtp server - the settings for that are on the gmail web pages.  If
you have any problems with setting it up, let us know and we'll help you.

> 3. is it possible to build kmail and its dependencies and use it
> instead of system version, which is quite old in SUSE 11.4?

It may well be, but I wouldn't advise trying it, as it is likely that it needs
different dependencies than those supplied by SUSE.  Many of us are trying the
newest KMail and having serious problems, whereas the KMail ! that is supplied
in most distros is rock solid even if not entirely up to date in some
respects.

Anne
--
New to KDE Software?  Got some good hints and tips? - Welcome to
http://userbase.kde.org