[kdepim-users] Screwed up migration and KMail won't run!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:28:46 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 22 November 2011 10:12:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
> I just recently had a failed upgrade/reinstall to Fedora 16. In the
> process, I aborted the upgrade to KMail2, and that left everything
> hosed. Now whenever I try to start KMail again after successfully
> reinstalling, I get an error that it can't find some resource. How do
> I fix this? At this point, while I would prefer to retain all my old
> email, I can live without it if I have to! Just help me get KMail
> back, please!

Start from SystemSettings -> Personal Information and check what resources are
set up and where each one points to.  If you have duplicate resources, remove
one of them (but do check carefully that they really are duplicates).  Your
mail should be still exactly where it was before - akonadi does not touch the
originals, merely indexing them in a database.  Use Dolphin to make sure that
you know where the messages are, and point the resource to that folder.

Also, use Ctrl-Esc, type Kontact and/or KMail into the search bar (with
Kontact closed of course) and make sure that no running processes exist before
you try again.  Test your fixes by running KMail as a separate application
before trying Kontact.

HTH

Anne