[kdepim-users] Re: Urgently help needed to get back "Kontact".

Johann Rohwer jr at sun.ac.za
Thu Mar 31 13:16:37 BST 2011

On Thursday 31 March 2011, Bas Roufs wrote:
> I do manage to sync the address books at the phone and laptop via
> not very open sourced "Mail for exchange" at the smartphone, the
> package "akonadi-googledata" in combination with KOrganiser at the
> laptop. and the GMAIL address book as online intermediary. But
> calendar synchronisation seems to be a tougher issue. So far, I
> have been trying two methods to sync both machines via Google as
> intermediary online station:
>
>    - via "akonadi-kde-resource-googledata", cf.
>    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.kde/25211
>    - via "DAV" groupware, cf. amongst others
> http://davmail.sourceforge.net/and
> http://alin.elenaworld.net/?p=697
>
> But every attempt ends up so far in a (apparent?) failure to upload
> my calendar to Google.

For a first upload into google, you can directly import your *.ics file
via the Google calendar web interface (Settings-> Calendar Settings->
Calendars -> Import Calendar).

For syncing with korganizer, the akonadi-googledata resource works
reasonably OK, but for example it can't handle recurring events. It
did not satisfy my needs (syncing with Android smartphone via google).

 I'm using GCALDaemon (http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/) and am very
happy with the results. You can either have it gcaldaemon sync with a
local *.ics file on your hard disk (which would be the korganizer
calendar), or you can run a server on localhost and you define an
"online" calendar in korganizer to connect via http to localhost on
port 9090. The gcaldaemon documentation is very extensive.

HTH
Johann