[kdepim-users] Re: Managing home information

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Sun Mar 27 23:06:59 BST 2011

A Diumenge 27 Març 2011, Martin (KDE) va escriure:
> Am Sonntag, 27. März 2011 schrieb Anne Wilson:

> > > I stand corrected. I used kolab once (version 1) and the only
> > > client at this time was horde web and kontact (besides the
> > > outlook plugin you had to pay for).
> > >
> > > I like the idea in using imap folders for contact and calendar.
> > > You only need to setup one server. For SOGo, for example, you
> > > have to setup an imap server, the sogo server itself, a database
> > > server (mysql or postgresql) and a http server as frontend for
> > > sogo.
> > >
> > > What I missed most with kolap: I never found packages for a
> > > distribution (neither centos/rhel nor suse). You have to use
> > > either the source or these openPKG thingy. I must confess that
> > > in the last six years I never tested kolab again.
> >
> > From time to time I've thought that I should try setting it up on
> > my CentOS server, but I've felt it rather daunting :-)
>
> That was the reason for me to look after other PIM tools. I tried
> eGroupWare and some others, all were to slow or not flexible enough
> and many of them have a own userbase only. After some time of
> seraching I currently use gosa for my user management and SOGo as my
> pim-server. If I add a new user with gosa it is working with SOGo
> without any thing I have to do in there. There are some minor things
> to work out but I am satisfied with the functionality.
>
> As said, most of my users (wife and daughter) use thunderbird as
> client (me on windows as well - if I have to use windows) but I hope
> to migrate to kde-pim end of this year. Even ipod-touch works out of
> the box with SOGo.
>
> Martin

thanks for all the information. Just some points, I looked kolab, but I though
that it was a monster to use in a small environment. However, I will look on
it again.

SOGo, as Kolab uses ldap, and I wouldn't like to configure a ldap for 4 users.
Regards,

Leo

Linux User 152692     PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia