[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact-embedded okular and pdf printing/saving: howto?

Pascal Hasko Bernhard pascal.hasko.bernhard at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:23:30 GMT 2011

Am Mittwoch 09 März 2011, 07:07:26 schrieb Thomas Olsen:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2011 21:15:34 Pascal Hasko Bernhard wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 08 März 2011, 06:46:00 schrieb Johannes Graumann:
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > >  I posted this a long while back (Jul 07, 2010), but received no answer
> > >  and
> > >

> > > just re-run into the issue - so I repost:
> > >

> > > I extensively use Akregator in Kontact to track scientific literature
> > > and this often leads me to PDFs that are then opened in a
> > > Kontact/Akregator embedded Okular. So nice so good. I have however
> > > been unable to figure out how to save or print a PDF from inside the
> > > embedded Okular - can anybody give me a hint on how to achieve that?
> > >

> > > This is Kontact Version 4.4.7 on debian testing.
> >

> > Hi Joh,
> >

> > having Akregator (which I like too) open PDF documents externally with
> > Okular as a stand-alone application not integrated into Kontact is not an
> > option for you? There would be less of a problem with printing and
> > keyboard shortcuts. You would have to change the default program for
> > viewing PDFs in
> > "Systemsettings".
>
> Wouldn't changing it in System Settings also prevent Konqueror from
> embedding  Okular? I'd like PDF's to open externally in Okular when opened
> from Kontact/Akregator both due to screen space limitation and missing
> menu entries and shortcuts, but when opened from Konqueror I mostly prefer
> it to open embedded.

You're right. In "Systemsettings" you can set the program associated with all
kinds of file types, even ones you didn't know existed in the first place. It
takes a while to configure it, but it changes the association across programs
and desktop environments. My Debian is running on Gnome and it works there
too. I'm not sure if you can exclude specific programs from the file
associations set up here, as you would like to do. I guess you have to do some
research, if you can tell Konqueror to open PDFs embedded, ignoring the global
configuration. You'd probably have to do this somewhere in Konqueror.

Pascal

Pascal Bernhard
Schwalbacher Straße 7
12161 Berlin