[kdepim-users] Re: Managing home information

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Mar 26 21:30:03 GMT 2011

Am Samstag, 26. März 2011 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Saturday 26 March 2011 18:27:17 Martin (KDE) wrote:

> > > Yes, I think it's Kolab (http://www.kolab.org/) Leo is looking
> > > for.
> >
> > The main disadvantage of kolab is (imho): the only client I know
> > of is kontact (besides webinterface). To my point this is not
> > sufficient.
>
> Maybe not.  From
> http://www.kolab.org/about-kolab-clients.html#kdeclient2
>
> <quote>
> SyncKolab was written to add Kolab functionality to Thunderbird,
> Icedove and Seamonkey,
> </quote>
>
> Sounds pretty useful, to me.

I stand corrected. I used kolab once (version 1) and the only client
at this time was horde web and kontact (besides the outlook plugin you
had to pay for).

I like the idea in using imap folders for contact and calendar. You
only need to setup one server. For SOGo, for example, you have to
setup an imap server, the sogo server itself, a database server (mysql
or postgresql) and a http server as frontend for sogo.

What I missed most with kolap: I never found packages for a
distribution (neither centos/rhel nor suse). You have to use either
the source or these openPKG thingy. I must confess that in the last
six years I never tested kolab again.

Martin