[kdepim-users] Re: post -migration issues Kontact 4.6

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jun 27 19:36:09 BST 2011

On Monday, 2011-06-27, O. Sinclair wrote:
> I am still trying to come to terms with the new KMail/Kontact.
>
> First of all: basics work, that is sending and receiving mail. My
> accounts (all of them pop3 accounts) were migrated.
>
> However, looking at the log from migration it states:
> [Wed Jun 22 08:49:37 2011] Info   : Migrating local folders in
> '/home/sinclair/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail'...
> [Wed Jun 22 08:49:37 2011] Info   : Creating instance of type
> akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource
> [Wed Jun 22 08:49:37 2011] Info   : Created local maildir resource.
> [Wed Jun 22 08:49:37 2011] Info   : Keeping 'Local Folders' for default
> outbox, sent mail, trash, etc.
> [Wed Jun 22 08:49:40 2011] Success: Local folders migrated successfully.
>
> But they have stayed in '/home/sinclair/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail' and
> not been moved to /home/sinclair/.local/share/local-mail' that I though
> was to be the new "standard" for maildir?

It is the default location for any new setup but part of the migrator's job is
to make sure the mail at its current location can be used without too much
change, e.g. without moving potentially several gigabytes of data around.
without moving data away from locations that are potentially part of a backup
setup, etc.

> browsing around rc-files I seem to have 3 maildir resources, one mixed
> maildir and two maildir? 2 of them pointing to .../kmail/mail and one to
> .../local-mail

There should be one mixed_maildir resource pointing to your old kmail storage
location and potentially one pointing to the new default one.

The latter one usually exists before the migrator is run because it get
created by the mail dispatcher agent for its default outbox/sent-mail folders.
The migrator analyzes this resource and attempts to take over this role of
default folder provider if the other one is still empty.

According to your log snippet the migrator decided to not touch this aspect of
your setup, so you should have one mixed_maildir resource called "KMail
Folders" pointing to your kmail data dir and one normal maildir resource
called "Local Folders" pointing to the new standard location.

> And Local Mail (in GUI) had only Outbox, no trash/sent mail etc. All
> those are now in "KMail Folders".

Strange.
Can you check the contents of specialmailcollectionsrc in your KDE config
directory?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring