[kdepim-users] Re: birthdays from addressbook in calender

Kai-Simon Goetzmann ks.goetzmann at web.de
Wed Jun 1 14:28:22 BST 2011

On Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:11:11 PM Kai-Simon Goetzmann wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm just getting into using Kontact, and I quite like the idea of
> integrating the whole PIM suite. However, some things don't quite work
> together as they should, yet. In particular I don't manage to have the
> birthdays from my addressbook shown in the calendar.
> The version I'm using is Kontact 4.4.10. I have a local addressbook (in
> ~/.local/share/contacts/) with several folders. For some of the contacts
> in there I have set the birthday ("Edit contact" -> tab "personal" ->
> "birthday"). Then in Kalender I've added a new calender, choosing
> "birthdays from addressbook" as a type - but the birthdays don't show
> up. Am I doing something wrong here? Otherwise I'll have to file a bug,
> I guess...
>
> Can anybody help me? BTW: I'm using the german version of Kontact so I
> might have guessed some of the english versions of menues etc. wrong...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> KSG

Just to let you know, I solved the problem now:
I found out that I have to edit the KDE resources in the System Settings.
Under "Personal Information" -> Resource "Contacts" I added the corresponding
Akonadi addressbook, and now all the birthdays appear in my calender :-)
This also solved another problem I had (and this is how I found out about the
solution) - addresses from my addressbook did not show up when if pressed the
"Select" button next to the "to"-field in the mail composition window.
Apparantly this was all due to the fact that KDE was not told to use the
akonadi resource.

Best,
Kai