[kdepim-users] Re: With IMAP_IDLE in kmail2 is interval checking redundant?

Mon Jun 13 18:13:36 BST 2011

On Monday 13 Jun 2011 6:53:38 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2011-06-13, Kishore wrote:

> > > Depends on the server.
> > > IDLE is an IMAP extension and might not be supported by the server.
> > > As far as I know it also required one connection per monitored mail
> > > folder.
> >
> > GMail being a very commonly used service, would you know if this would
> > work for GMail?
>
> No idea, sorry. I heard that GMail is quite bad when it comes to correctly
> advertising its capabilities (quite obviously they would prefer people to
> use their web frontend).
>
> > Also, is "push mail" the same thing?
>
> Yes.
>
> > As apparently with gmail (and an
> > android client) notifications only arrive on the inbox.
>
> Ah, then this shouldn't be a problem.

I just experimented with it and yes, push mail appears to work well with
gmail. On the down side, it only works with the inbox folder and not any
others. I do not know if this is an issue with kmail, gmail or the imap
specification though. However, google's own gmail client for android also only
supports "push" notifications for inbox alone.
--
Cheers!
Kishore